Copyright © All rights reserved.
Our Sunday services are according to the Book of Common Prayer and are:
8.00 a.m Holy Communion (said)
(2nd and 4th Sundays in month)
11.15 a.m Mattins (sung)
6.30 p.m Evensong (sung)
Please feel free to contact the Vicar with enquiries and requests for clergy help Tel. 01653 692370
The present church at Old Malton is all that remains of a priory of the Gilbertine Order, the only fully English monastic order, founded by Gilbert of Sempringham in about 1131.
Gilbert was born around 1083, the crippled son of a Norman knight called Jocelyn
and a Saxon mother. Jocelyn, disappointed that his heir would clearly be unable to
make a success of military life set him up for a career in the church, sending him
to study in France. On returning to Sempringham from university with a Master’s degree,
he was given the livings of Sempringham and West Torrrington. As he was not a priest,
he appointed a priest to serve as his vicar while he himself lived in poverty in
the vicarage and by his teaching and example made his parish a model of devout and
temperate living. Rhe was appointed household clerk to the Bishop of Lincoln in 1122.
The bishop ordained him priest and offered him a well-
As Master, Gilbert continued his austere manner of life, traveling from house to house in Lincolnshire and Yorkshire, working at copying manuscripts, making furniture, and building. At the age of nearly ninety, he was confronted with a rebellion of the lay brothers, whose main grievances were that there was too much work and not enough food. Despite being slandered by the leaders of the dissenters and their support by magnates in Church and state, the papacy upheld Gilbert, who received the rebels back into the Order, with some improvement being made in the brothers’ food and dress.
Despite his disability (Gilbert’s crutch is the symbol of the order) Gilbert himself remained responsible for the running of the order until he was about 95. Roger of Malton was appointed as his successor until Gilbert died aged 106. Gilbert was canonised in 1202.
At the time of his death there were thirteen Gilbertine houses in existence mainly in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. The order never spread beyond England and terminated with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, and Malton is the only church built by the order still in use.
St Gilbert of Sempringham as portrayed in Victorian stained glass in the Priory Church.
The Gilbertine Order